SweetTree Discover Our Blog,
Care training: what skills do you need to be a care worker?
If you are a support worker, you probably already know all the wonderful reasons why working in the care sector is one of the most rewarding career decisions. However, if you are still thinking of making the move, you might be wondering what skills and qualities you need to be a care worker. At SweetTree, we are experts in care training. Proof of this is our award-winning ASPIRE programme, which opens a pathway into the healthcare sector for people with no experience. Through this fully paid 4-day intensive programme and following shadowing hours, you will be a fully trained carer in almost no time!
Soft skills for carers
Some of the main skills and qualities you need to be a care worker are probably already with you! Most people interested in care are naturally kind, patient and have high levels of empathy –all extremely valuable assets for this sector. Let’s see a summary of the most important ones:
- Communication skills. A great support worker can adapt to multiple social situations and is able to speak to clients of all ages and backgrounds. Being social by nature truly makes this job even more enjoyable and fulfilling!
- Reliability. It goes without saying, but being reliable is a must-have quality for a support worker. Clients are often in vulnerable situations, and the bond created between them and their carers becomes very strong. Of course, this means that they rely on them to be punctual and responsible.
- Flexibility. Support workers need to be flexible with their working hours, since the client needs might change. However, this is also a brilliant perk for those wanting to work in care!
- Time management. This is definitely one of the most useful and transferrable skills required for the job. You will need to be able to plan meals, organise shopping and keep up to date with medication and appointments. All this definitely applies to other areas of life and will definitely help you be more organised in your own home!
Specialist care training
Aside from all the qualities listed above, some specialist skills will be required and/or nice to have. Here are some of them:
- First-aid training. Basic first-aid skills are definitely needed for a support worker. Again, these are not only essential in case an emergency arises with a client, but also applicable to many other areas in life. At SweetTree, you will receive training as part of your induction, so you can properly respond to any situations you may encounter with a client.
- Moving and Handling training. This one is also provided by SweetTree at our Care Academy. If not performed safely, physical effort can do a lot of damage to your body, so this course will help you improve and maintain your general health.
- Specialist training on certain conditions. Sometimes, clients might live with conditions that require specific adjustments. For this reason, it is extremely beneficial for carers to undergo training on the symptoms, medication and expert recommendations.
We hope you enjoyed reading about care training and all the skills required to become a carer. If you want to know more or are interested in becoming a support worker yourself, visit the SweetTree website or contact us on 020 7644 9550.